Not having to shave, wax or pluck is reason enough for choosing the long-term solution that is laser hair removal. We want your laser hair removal appointment to go as smooth as possible. To help you get the best from your laser hair removal experience, we’ve come up with a few do’s and don’ts for before, during, and after treatment.
Before the Laser Hair Removal Procedure…
- Don’t: Shave, bleach, or pluck the area of the desired treatment for six weeks. For the treatment to work effectively, the root of the hair must be sustained, so it must be left as natural as possible (we will ask you to shave 24-hours before your appointment). Additionally, sun exposure of the area should also be limited and refrain from using tanning beds. If you must be out in the sun, remember to apply a sunscreen of at least SPF 50.
- Do: Shave the treatment the area 24 hours before your appointment, as this helps to prevent skin damage due to the laser heating the hair. Furthermore, shaving the area prepares the laser for easy insertion directly into the follicles.
During the Laser Hair Removal Procedure…
- Don’t: Ignore safety regulations, which include wearing protective eyewear to reduce the risk of eye damage.
- Do: Relax and remember that you’ll be made as comfortable as possible throughout your experience. To increase your comfort, local anesthetic options are available. Additionally, the laser used in treatment is paired with a mechanism that streams cooled air to protect the skin and keep the therapy as painless as possible.
After the Laser Hair Removal Procedure…
- Don’t: Shave the treated area until healed. Also, if you experience redness or itching, try not to scratch it. Both may cause the area to heal slowly and may lead to tissue scarring. Additionally, don’t expose the treated area to extreme heat like hot baths or saunas and don’t swim in a pool for up to three days to reduce the risk of irritation. It’s important to remember not to use aspirin or ibuprofen as a means to pain relief as they have a negative reaction to lasers procedures. Finally, avoid bleach, fragrance, and tight fitting clothing on the treated skin for at least two days after the procedure.
- Do: Follow the skincare routine suggested by our clinicians. Apply ice and aloe vera to the area if you experience irritation. Lastly, do seek medical attention if you notice signs of infection like pus, swelling, and fever.
If these do’s and don’ts are taken into account, laser hair removal treatment can provide you with the smooth, hairless skin you desire. For more information or to schedule your laser hair removal appointment, contact Neem Medical Spa today.