About Hair Loss
Losing your hair is a big deal. Our aesthetics team at Neem Medical Spa understands that your hair falling out is upsetting. Some men and women begin to experience hair loss in their twenties (either from genetics or a hormonal imbalance). Rest assured, your hair loss is not as a result of poor personal hygiene habits or aging. Certain medications, medical conditions, and illnesses may also play a role. Boston, MA board-certified internal medicine physician Dr. Rosy Sandhu has treated patients from premature hair loss to late-stage balding. She designs customized patient-specific solutions and treatment plans with the finest aesthetic outcomes. Hair replacement treatment is unique to each patient. For optimal results, it is important to determine the reason for your hair loss. Dr. Sandhu can perform a careful examination of your hair and scalp during your appointment. In some cases, a biopsy the scalp tissue may be needed for proper diagnosis. Fortunately, our three locations in Somerville, Lynnfield, or Winchester, MA can host a consultation for nonsurgical hair loss restoration. Call today to get more information.
Hair Loss Consultation Reviews
"What a lovely combination of great services (skin, hair, body), wide selection of products, and a wonderful team! I love this place! I had my coolsculpting very professionally done by Fran and I thoroughly enjoyed our time together, she made sure I was comfortable throughout the whole procedure, and even ordered me a smoothie from the Cafe next door. So sweet! My results were great. I also had the hair restoration treatment with ECM that was beautifully done by Dr Sandhu, painless! By the time I'd left, all my prewedding Bride jitters were gone and I walked out ready to thoroughly enjoy and shine at my wedding, that is just a few months away! A heartfelt thank you to wonderfully fabulous Dr Sandhu, Fran, and Amanda!"- L.H. / Yelp / Oct 17, 2019
Known Hair Loss Causes
For some women and men, hair loss is because of androgenic alopecia (female and/or male pattern hair loss) and has been caused by a few factors like age, genetics, and androgens (male hormones). Genetic baldness can come from both sides of your family tree and may skip a generation.
Alopecia is the medical term for hair that naturally falls out. The average person loses approximately 100 hairs per day and the hairs are replaced with new growth. Thinning hair and balding happen when not enough new hairs are created to replace the hairs that shed. Many factors affect the body’s ability to replace lost hair. Neem Medical Spa can help you regain the fuller, more youthful hair volume and growth you desire with today’s most advanced hair restoration treatments and procedures. For optimal results, it is important to determine the reason for your hair loss. Dr. Sandhu can perform a careful examination of your hair and scalp during your appointment. In some cases, a biopsy the scalp tissue may be needed for proper diagnosis.
In addition to androgenic alopecia, balding and thinning hair may be caused by several other conditions. You may also experience hair loss through:
- As a response to a low immune system, a trauma to the skin with hair, or shock
- A hormonal imbalance (thyroid disorder, low testosterone, or insulin resistance)
- Poor iron and/or protein intake in your diet
- A diet high in starches and refined sugars
- Hair loss during pregnancy and childbirth
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Certain illnesses like the flu where hair loss is triggered by fever and shedding can last for up to three months
- Consumption of certain medications, such as those used to treat hypotension, depression, heart conditions, arthritis, and certain bleeding disorders.
- Some dietary supplements like vitamin and mineral supplements can cause temporary hair loss
- Cancer treatments that hinder the promotion of hair development and growth at the cellular level
- The use of oral contraceptives
- Tight hairstyles in elastics (ponytail hair loss)
- Sun damage from high levels of UV radiation
- Trichotillomania, which is a condition where you pull your hair out as a response to anxiety.
- Anorexia, bulimia, overall poor nutrition, and other disordered eating habits
- Menopause, anxiety, postpartum depression, and other stress-inducing disorders for women
- Cancers that affect the female reproductive organs, such as ovarian cancer
- Anemia and other iron deficiency diseases
- Lupus and other types of connective tissue disease
Hair Loss Conditions
Several hair loss conditions can be reversed by simply addressing the causal variable(s) or utilizing nonsurgical techniques to stop hair loss, enhance the standard of the hair follicles, and regrow them. Other disorders can't be treated without surgery because of the stage and permanence of the baldness. In such circumstances, hair transplant procedures could be considered. Typical hair loss conditions are:
- Female and male pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia)
- Alopecia aerate (large round, smooth balding spots anywhere on the body)
- Telogen effluvium (thinning on the crown of the head)
- Anagen effluvium (rapid, diffuse hair loss)
- Trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder)
- Traction alopecia (hair loss from stress on the hair)
Modern improvements in surgical and medical methods and technologies have made it feasible for both women and men to slow down hair loss. Neem Medical Spa provides a broad variety of innovative nonsurgical remedies such as therapeutic scalp massage, hair goods, hair growth medicines, nutritional supplements, dietary alterations, low-level laser therapy, and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) featuring placenta-based extracellular matrix treatment. We highly recommend treatment for hair loss as soon as possible. Seeking treatment early will help to slow down the hair loss. During your consultation, our hair restoration specialist will explain the recommended treatment plan and the expected results.
What to Expect
Hair loss treatment varies from patient to patient because of the wide array of conditions which cause hair loss. Each treatment at Neem Medical Spa is customized to the individual to achieve the most natural-looking results possible. During your one-on-one consultation appointment, Dr. Sandhu will determine the cause of your hair loss and recommend an appropriate solution. After your appointment, our friendly, knowledgeable patient coordinator will explain the costs and procedures associated with treatment.
Book Your Appointment!
Understand Your Hair Loss
If you experience hair loss of any kind, we welcome you to contact Neem Medical Spa now. Dr. Sandhu can offer an extensive hair loss analysis which will enable her to offer you a detailed diagnosis. She will then customize a treatment program just for you. If you would like to learn more about hair loss or the new ways we can treat it, please call and schedule with one of our friendly patient coordinators at Neem Medical Spa today in Somerville, Lynnfield, or Winchester, MA.
What Causes Hair Loss in Women and How to Make It Stop
Read on to discover the many causes of hair loss in women and how to counteract them.Read
Treating Male Pattern Baldness
Male pattern baldness, or androgenic alopecia, is a condition characterized by hair loss.Read
Treating Male Pattern Baldness
The medical term for male pattern baldness is “androgenic alopecia.”Read